Honey do List!
By: Margaret Pitts
My eight year old son Walker recently went on a field trip to Bee City (www.beecity.net). His science class is studying pollination and the different parts of a flower. Needless to say, he had a blast! In addition to the bee hives, they have a petting zoo with llamas, lemurs, monkeys, miniature horses, etc. The best part of the excursion, was the big plastic bear full of honey that he brought home. He promptly asked if he could try it, and so he opened up the squeeze top and squeezed a little into his mouth. I am so sad that I didn’t have my camera with me because his face was priceless. His eyes opened wide and he said, “That is not at all what I thought it would taste like!!!” I was shocked that he had never tried honey before. How had I let this happen? Honey is not something that I keep around- I don’t put it in tea or on toast. I love honey, but I just never use it. Well that is all about to change. Now that I have my big honey bear sitting on the counter, I was thinking about all of the different recipes that call for honey- from breakfasts to appetizers to sauces, to main dishes and desserts not to even mention cocktails! So, here are a whole bunch of honey recipes broken down by category. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Margaret Pitts grew up in Charleston, SC with a love of food and Southern culture.
Honey Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 tbsp margarine or butter, melted
- 2 tbsp honey
- In a large mixing bowl combine whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another mixing bowl combine rolled oats and milk; let stand 10 minutes. Add the eggs, margarine or butter, and honey to the oak mixture. Beat until well combined. Add the oat mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined but still slightly lumpy. (If batter is too thick, thin by adding milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.)
- Heat a lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat until a few drops of water dance across the surface. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto the hot griddle. Spread batter into a circle about 4 inches in diameter.
- Cook over medium heat until pancakes are golden brown, turning to cook the second sides when pancake surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry (about 1 to 2 minutes per side). Serve immediately or keep warm in a loosely covered ovenproof dish in a 300 degree F oven. Makes 12 pancakes.
- 2 cups oatmeal (not instant)
- 1 1/4 cups wheat germ
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup raisins
- Mix first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Heat together honey and oil. Pour slowly over dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Bake in a shallow pan at 325° for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until golden. Remove from oven, add raisins and mix well.
- Cool. Store in air-tight container.
Cinamon Honey French Toast
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup half & half
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla ground cinnamon
- 8 slices bread
- Cook pecans, honey and 2 tbsp butter in a saucepan until hot. Simmer.
- Wisk together half & half, eggs and vanilla.
- Dip bread into the mixture so that it’s covered, but not soaked.
- Melt remaining butter in a skillet or griddle.
- Cook bread over medium heat.
- Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top while cooking.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Serve covered with honey-pecan mixture.
Caramelized Peach and Brie Quesadilla with Honey (this comes from Oprah.com and Chef Chris Santos)
- 12 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 peach sliced and sautéed quickly with chopped thyme
- 1/4 lb of brie cut into very thin slices
- 1/4 of 1 red onion sautéed in butter until caramelized
- 1/4 cup of honey
- Place two tortillas on a flat surface. Evenly distribute about 1/4 of the peaches, onions and brie on each of the layers. Season well with salt and pepper. Stack the tortillas on top of each other. Ad a plain tortilla on top to complete the three layers. Press down firmly. Repeat procedure using remaining ingredients.
- To cook, place in a sauté pan with very little oil over medium heat. Cook until golden on one side and flip to cook the other side until golden. Cut each stack into eight slices and drizzle with honey.
Feta Cheese with Pepper Honey
- 1 lb feta cheese patted dry
- 3 tsp coarsely ground black peppercorns
- 1/3 cup honey
- Bread slices or crackers
- Place the block of feta cheese in the middle of a large platter
- In a small bowl, mix the honey and peppercorns
- Drizzle mixture over cheese
- Serve with crackers or bread
Honey Walnut Spread
- 2 cups walnuts
- ¾ cups honey
- ¾ cups dried pears (cut in ¼ inch dice)
- 2 tsp herbs de Provence or Italian herbs
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 12 slices baguette type French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- ½ cup plain goat cheese
- Preheat the broiler of your oven.
- Coarsely chop 1 cup of the walnuts; chop the remaining cup of walnuts finely. Place all the nuts in a large bowl and add the honey, dried pears, herbs de Provence, coriander, orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, and salt. Beat vigorously until completely mixed; set aside.
- Slice baguette on the diagonal into about 12 slices; place on a baking sheet.
- Cut the goat cheese into pieces; divide and place on top of the baguette slices. Using a knife, spread cheese uniformly on each baguette slice. Broil until cheese is just melted. (Broil about 4 inches from heat, just to warm the bread and soften the cheese - watch closely, this only takes a moment.)
- Top each baguette slice with a spoonful of Honey Walnut Spread and serve immediately.
Apricot Honey Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3 tbsp apricot preserves
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 4 tsp honey
- In a large skillet cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 7-9 minutes on each side or until cooked through
- Combine the preserves, orange juice and honey, pour over chicken and cook for 2 minutes
Easy Shish-ka Bobs
- 2 lbs. meat (chicken, beef, pork, sausage, etc.) cubed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 sm. zucchini squash, sliced thick
- 8-10 sm. red potatoes
- 1 lg. green pepper, sliced into 1 inch chunks
- 1 lg. red pepper, sliced into 1 inch chunks
- Whole fresh mushrooms or any of your favorite vegetables
- Place beef into large airtight container and add marinade ingredients. Cover and refrigerate 10 hours or overnight.
- Remove beef from marinade and let vegetables soak for 1/2 hour. Thread alternately with meat on skewers and grill for 10-20 minutes, turning as needed.
Honey Baked Ham
- 1 cured ham (10-12 lbs)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 1 cup honey
- 6 pineapple slices
- Wash the ham thoroughly
- Place ham in shallow roasting pan and bake at 325 (allow 20 minutes for each pound)
- 30-45 minutes before the ham is finished, take out of the oven
- Skin, score fat and dot with whole cloves
- In a pot, combine lemon juice, pineapple juice and honey- bring to a boil
- Once the ingredients have reached boiling, remove the pot from heat and pour the mixture over the ham evenly
- Return the ham to the oven and cook for the remaining time
- Serve with slices of pineapple for garnish
Honey Barbeque Roast Chicken
- 1 4-5 lb chicken
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp bbq seasoning
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425
- Remove giblets from chicken
- Liberally rub bbq seasoning and salt all over chicken. Slice the top off the garlic head and place it inside the chicken cavity
- Place chicken in a large roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven and roast for 90 minutes or until done
- When chicken is done, brush honey all over the skin right out of the oven. Let chicken stand for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing
Honey Glazed Black Pepper Roast Beef
- 2 tbsp coarsley ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 4-pound beef top round roast
- 6 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Rub beef all over with pepper and salt and place on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast beef, undisturbed, for an hour.
- Meanwhile, whisk together honey, vinegar, and oil in a medium bowl.
- After 45 minutes of roasting, brush beef all over with honey mixture.
- Continue to cook 15 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Roast 10 to 30 minutes more, until roast has reached desired degree of doneness, brushing it every 15 minutes with glaze.
- Note that the meat will continue cooking while it rests after being removed from the oven and the temperature will rise another 5 or 10 degrees. Let meat rest 15 minutes before slicing thinly. Serve with pan juices drizzled over the top.
Pork Chops with Tangy Honey Sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 6 pork chops
- Place pork chops into a large re-sealable bag.
- In a blender, combine the garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ginger and pepper- puree until the garlic has been finely chopped.
- Pour this mixture over the pork chops in the bag; seal and refrigerate for at least 4 hours
- Preheat oven to 350- transfer the pork chops and marinade to a baking dish
- Bake uncovered until the sauce has reduced and the pork is no longer pink in the center- about 25 minutes
Asian Style Honey Vegetable Stir Fry
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup prepared stir fry sauce
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups eggplant
- 2 cups red pepper
- 1 small onion- cut into wedges and separated
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- Or choose your favorite vegetables
- Combine stir fry sauce in small bowl with honey and red pepper flakes.
- In wok or large skillet heat oil over medium high heat, add veggies and toss while bubbly hot, about 1 minute.
Honey BBQ Sauce
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup water
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat; add onion, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in ketchup and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Store leftover sauce in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1 ½ cup mayonnaise (for much healthier version, use plain Greek yogurt)
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ½ cup honey
- Stir all ingredients together until smooth
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour
Pecan Honey Sauce (great on salmon)
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans toasted
- 1 cup honey
- In a small saucepan, cook pecans and honey in remaining butter over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until bubbly.
Honey Bee Cocktail
- 2 oz dark rum
- ¼ oz honey
- ½ oz lemon juice
- Pour the rum, honey and lemon juice into a cocktail shaker half filled with ice
- Shake well
- Strain into a cocktail glass
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 oz gin
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker
- Before adding the ice, stir well to incorporate the honey with other liquids
- Add ice and shake for 30 seconds
- Strain into a chilled glass
- 2 oz white rum
- 1 tsp half and half cream
- 1 tsp honey
- Shake well with ice and strain over ice into glass
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 oz chocolate
- 1 ¼ tsp honey
- Heat all ingredients in a pan or microwave- leave to cool and serve in cocktail glass
- 1 ½ oz brandy
- ¼ oz honey
- ½ oz cream
- Shake well with ice and serve in a wine glass