Pumpkin Roll by Susan of Summerville, South Carolina
When I think of fall, I think pumpkins. Therefore, it was a not difficult choice to make when I decided to submit a
dessert recipe for the autumn edition of Eat This! Charleston. Pumpkin rolls are quick and easy to make and the end result is delicious! Pumpkin rolls have been a tradition of our families to make since I was a child, I can remember making these with my grandmother, but we have been using this recipe for the last 20 years.
1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
4 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup Pumpkin Pie Mix
3/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
4 T. butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with parchment paper. Flour paper. Sprinkle tea towel with powdered sugar and set aside.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder, and set aside. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Fold in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts, if using.
- BAKE for 13 - 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel.
- Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
- BEAT cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired. Keep refrigerated.