Bacon & Asparagus Tartlet
A quiche is fun, but a tart is divine. And everyone knows that anything is better with bacon. Trust my Southern palate. From the delicate texture of the tart crust, the crisp bacon, soft goat cheese and asparagus — this dish is a win-win for brunch or any occasion. Visit any local farmers market this Spring for fresh and locally produced goat cheese and asparagus — you’ll be glad you did.
- 3-4 pieces of thick-sliced Bacon
- 1/4 shallot peeled and chopped
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet
- 1 LB asparagus tips washed and trimmed
- 4 oz softened goat cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. PREHEAT oven 400'.
2. Roll puff pastry onto greased or nonstick baking sheet folding outer edges slightly in to form crust. 3. COOK bacon to a crisp. Remove from pan, drain and crumble. Reserve approximately 1 Tbsp bacon grease. In same pan, sauté shallot and asparagus until soft — approximately 2-3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. SPREAD or crumble goat cheese onto the puff pastry.
5. Arrange asparagus and shallots onto puff pastry. Top with crumbled bacon.
6. BAKE at 400' for 15-20 minutes or until puff pastry is golden brown.
by Aaran A. | Mt. Pleasant