Honey Fried Chicken
by B. Lover of Wadamalaw Island
Nothing beats lovin’ like some fried chicken. As the summer months approach, this is a great dish for any BBQ. You can purchase local honey at Savannah Bee Company on King Street downtown or at any of our local Farmers Markets. I recommend getting the chicken from ACE Basin Organics. Buy local. This recipe is easy and delicious and promises to be “finger licking good”.
3 lbs. cut-up chicken
3/4 cup local honey
3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk baking mix
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
1.Coat chicken with honey; set aside.
2. Combine buttermilk baking mix, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in mixture.
3. Heat 1/2 inch oil to 375°F in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
4. Carefully place chicken in hot oil and cook about 5 minutes or until underside of chicken is golden; turn chicken pieces and cook about 5 minutes, turning as needed.
5. Reduce heat to low and cook 15 to 20 minutes more or until juices run clear.
6. Remove chicken; drain on paper towels.
7. Adjust bib and ample supply of napkins accordingly.
8. Enjoy and don’t forget to lick your fingers.